Mental Health First Aid
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is a groundbreaking public education program that helps the public identify, understand, and respond to signs of mental illnesses and substance use disorders. Mental Health First Aid USA is managed, operated, and disseminated by three national authorities — the National Council for Community Behavioral Healthcare, the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, and the Missouri Department of Mental Health. To read more about Mental Health First Aid, please visit: http://www.mentalhealthfirstaid.org
MHFA is an 8-hour instructional course. Upon completion of the course, participants will be Mental Health First Aid Certificated. A one-hour lunch is provided, as well as two 15-minute breaks. Training runs from 8:30 a.m.to 4:00 p.m. All instruction hours must be attended to become MHFA Certificated. A course outline is provided below.
In our area, the training is supported by the Tulare County's Mental Health Services Act (MHSA) - Prevention and Early Intervention (PEI) Plan - Serious Mental Illness (SMI) Program. It is also supported by Kings County Behavioral Health's MHSA - PEI Plan. A fee is not being charged at this time for participation.
Select one of the dates listed below and click on the link. Please complete the registration form for that session. You will not receive an automatic email after registering. Registrations are reviewed periodically, and each registrant will receive a confirmation email once the registrations are reviewed.
Upcoming Sessions and Registration
Note: Click on a date to go to that session's information and registration page. "$" indicates a fee is required for that session.
- What is Mental Health First Aid?
- Mental Health Problems in the USA
- The Mental Health First Aid Action Plan
- Understanding Depression
- Crisis First Aid for Suicidal Behavior & Depressive symptoms
- What is Non-Suicidal Self-Injury?
- Understanding Anxiety Disorders
- Crisis First Aid for Panic Attacks
- Crisis First Aid for Traumatic events
- Crisis First Aid for Acute Stress Reaction
- Understanding Psychotic Disorders
- Crisis First Aid for Acute Psychosis, Aggressive Behavior, and Psychotic Symptoms
- Understanding Substance Use Disorder
- Crisis First Aid for Overdose
- Crisis First Aid for Withdrawal
- Understanding Eating Disorders
- Crisis First Aid for Eating Disorders
- Using Mental Health First Aid
Please call Noah Whitaker at (559) 624-7471(559) 624-7471 or send an email by Clicking Here.
2012 (2): Oct 22 & 23; Dec 6 & 7
2013 (10): Feb 6 & 7; Mar01 & 08 at Milan Institute; Mar 28 & 29 in Hanford; Apr 25 & 26 in Visalia; June 10 & 11 in Visalia, July 8 & 9 in Hanford, July 23 & 24 in Hanford, Oct 22 & 23, Dec 9, Dec 16
2014: Feb 25, Apr 10, June 16, Oct 23, Dec 8